Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A lot of cooking going on

Len and I had some friends over for dinner last Friday night and my available cooking time in the kitchen was limited.  So on Wednesday night, I made the tomato sauce  (canned tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery and carrots) for the Braised Short Ribs.  I had to do that first.  I then cut up and browned over 7 lbs. of boneless short ribs.  After that, I sauteed chopped onions, shredded carrots and chopped prosciutto.  Added the meat and dripping back into my large Le Creuset pot along with a bottle of red wine and some of the cooked tomato sauce.  I simmered that for at least 2 1/2 hours until the meat was fork tender.  It really is best made a day in advance, I think it has more flavor the next day.
Thursday morning I made the chicken liver pate which is one of my all time favorites.  If you can believe it, the recipe came from one of my friend's (Margaret) mother's garage sale in 1972.  It is The Spice Islands Cook Book that was published in 1961.
I made the rest of the hors d'oeuvres Friday afternoon.
We started dinner with a refreshing Watermelon & Arugula Salad.  I made this last time I was visiting my parents, my brother (Carter) and his wife (Susan) and they could not get enough of it. 
When I have my Artisan & Architecture tour in February, I will be teaching the cooking class out at Rancho Casa Luna  (http://www.casaluna.com/rancho.htm) outside of San Miguel de Allende and this recipe will be included in the meal.  Good thing watermelon is available year round.
I plated the Braised Short Ribs along with Wild Mushroom Risotto on my pasta plates which makes a great presentation.
If you are a fan of chocolate, these chocolate molten souffles with a scoop of coffee ice cream are top on my list.  And the best thing about them, I prepare them in the morning, put them in the refrigerator, take them out to reach room temperature when dessert time is nearing, bake them for 13 minutes, add the ice cream and serve.  Then watch them disappear.
Buen Provecho! 

No comments:

Post a Comment