Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Tierra de Sol is a beuatiful restaurant in Oaxaca

What a relaxing two weeks I had in Oaxaca over Christmas.  It was a chance for my husband and me to fine tune my dining list, try some new places and eliminate some.  And I have tweaked my schedule for my next tour to Oaxaca and the area which I am so excited about, October 14 - 22:  new restaurants, a side trip to Etla and much more...

 
One of my new favorites is Tierra del Sol (Land of the Sun) which overlooks the entrance to the Ethnobotanical Gardens.   Spectacular views from the second floor terrace and as you can see, Oaxaca has some of the most amazing clouds.
The space is beautifully designed
and I just love the metal art against the white stucco wall.
 

Our waiter, Ceasar, making the house salsa table side in a volcanic rock Molcajete.   We had options on what to put in our salsa.   We chose pepitas (pumpkin seeds), chapulines (grasshoppers), serrano chilies, roasted tomatoes, salt and roasted garlic.  It was delicious.

The salsa was served with a Hurache, an oblong shaped masa dough that had been fried and topped with Oaxaca cheese.

Len had the Tacos de Lechon - Suckling pig tacos with pork rinds (chicharrón) and guacachile.  Guacachile is a traditional Mexican salsa originating from the Oaxaca area. It is usually made with a combination of serrano chilies, onions, garlic, lime juice, oil, and salt. Despite the name, the salsa doesn't contain avocados – it's creamy from the oil that's used for frying the chili peppers and looks visually similar to guacamole.
I had the Chiles Rellenos Mixtos - A Chile Pasilla relleno filled with pork and a Chile de Agua relleno filled with chicken.  Served with beans and rice.

Both were incredibly delicious and so savory.  The plump raisins added such depth.  A very rich dish and one that I will definitely order on my return.

Chile de Agua is a delicious pepper found in the markets of Oaxaca.   It is becoming rarer and pricey for farmers are switching over to more common Guajillo pepper types that bring them more money.   When roasted, it has an almost butter flavor with an above average Jalapeno heat level.

The Pasilla Chile or Chile Negro is the dried form of the Chilaca.  Named for its dark, wrinkled skin (meaning little raisin), it is a mild to hot, rich-flavored chile.

On the main floor, the cooks were busy at work.  As you can see, the kitchen and staff are very conscious of cleanliness which I found everywhere we went in Oaxaca.

On the stair's landing is a niche with a quote by the restaurant's chef/owner, Olga Cabrera.  

"Esos sabores que nod evocan recuerdos, son los que nos dan vida."

"Those flavors that evoke memories are the ones that give us life."

SO true!

Olga Cabrales brings her family's rich heritage to the table through her recipes and cuisine.  

Upon entering the foyer on the main floor, she has a bakery, Masea, which has mouth watering pastries, breads, cookies...  The one cookie I fell in love with was the Gallete de Masa.  I am determined to make them at home.  If successful, I will post the recipe.

This is just one of the new places I have put on my "A" list for dining in Oaxaca.  Join me next October and enjoy what Oaxaca has to offer!  A colorful culture with outstanding cuisine, friendly people, folk art, museums, markets, murals, textiles....

 

TIERRA DEL SOL

Calle Reforma 411 

Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, Mexico

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment