Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas at my House

Denver had a dusting of snow last night.  The snow was the perfect final touch to my big wreath.
Another Mexican themed Christmas tree.
Colorful baskets, papier mache dolls, silver heart-shaped milagros and ceramic pots from the Friday market in Patzcuaro.
A tin mermaid (serina)
and a tin church from Oaxaca.
I wrapped many of my gifts in some beautiful paper with the Swedish Dala horse on it.  The Dala horse or Dalecarlian horse is a traditional carved, painted wooden horse statuette originating in the Swedish province of Dalarna.   I made the tags myself.
Here is Saint Lucia.  It's story of a young girl bringing light in the midst of darkness to the people of Sweden,  no doubt held great meaning for people who, in the midst of a North Sea December, were longing for the relief of warmth and light.  Celebrated on December 13, the longest night of the year, coinciding with Winter Solstice.
Matte red, shiny silver and pearl colored balls adorn the garland above the fireplace.
This box was painted by an artist in San Miguel de Allende, Renato Rivera.  It had been sitting in my basement for some time and my husband suggested that I incorporate it into my Christmas decorations. 
 So I did.  It is sitting on my kitchen counter and it is part of my snowman display.
Aniline painted angels that I bought in Oaxaca years ago.
Christmas Eve morning down at the Denver Art Museum. Warm in my wool poncho from San Miguel, Len and I enjoyed the "Her Paris" exhibition showcasing women artists in the age of Impressionism.  More on the later.
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment