Friday, August 31, 2018

The Harvest Baker Cookbook by Ken Haedrich

Lately I have been into baking different types sweet and savory of breads (Zucchini, Raisin and Walnut Bread and Pumpkin, Dried Figs and Walnut Bread) and I wanted to find some new recipes.  I just recently purchased Ken Haedrich's cookbook, The Harvest Baker.  Before my husband and I left for the Denver Botanic Gardens the other morning, I thought I would make his recipe for Blueberry Cream Scones.  They are loaded with blueberries!  The recipe suggests that you add frozen blueberries because they keep their shape better and do not make a big "blue" mess.  And how convenient, I always have a couple of boxes of blueberries in my freezer.  I did make one alteration to the recipe, I added about 1/4 cup of chopped candied ginger which really put them over the top.  The scones have cream in them (and of course butter) which gives them a such wonderful creamy texture.  Prep time was minimal and they were quite easy to make.
I have marked many of the recipes to try, such as: Everything Biscuits which has onion, spinach, carrot and garlic in them with a flour, cornmeal, buttermilk and cheddar cheese base.  Ricotta, Lemon and Blackberry MuffinsCreme Fraiche Corn Quiche.  And many more...  There are numerous recipes for pizzas, flat breads, tarts, cookies, pot pies...  The layout, photography and type make it all a very enjoyable cookbook to read. 

One more cookbook added to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment