Sunday, May 3, 2020

Having Tasajo in the 20 de Noviembre market in Oaxaca City, Mexico and at home!!


One of my favorite markets in Mexico is the 20 de Noviembre in Oaxaca City, right in the heart of the historic center and only a block from the main square.
And the part that intrigues me the most is the "Sala de Fume" (Hall of Smoke). And believe me, when it is in full swing, it is extremely smokey. 
Rick Bayless refers to it as the "Taco Corridor".
The hall is lined with independent vendors selling over a dozen types of meats and chorizos.  Along with vegetables to be grilled, tortillas, soft drinks, salsas and other condiments.

Once you select your meat, the vendor will grill it along with your choice of vegetables.  It is then delivered to table along with a variety salsas and condiments.  Talk about delicious.  
So the other night, I made Tesajo, salted air-dried beef, tortas (sandwiches) for dinner.  It was over the top.

TASAJO
I had purchased a beautiful, plump 2 pound piece of Flap steak, a low-end beef cut.  I prefer this to Flank steak, I find it has more marbling and is more flavorful.  I cut 1/4" strips, against the grain.   Then I put each strip between parchment paper and pounded it very thin, but not to the point that it would fall apart.  (FYI - your one arm gets a pretty good work out from pounding the strips of meat)
I put cooling racks over two large baking sheets.  Placed the pounded thin pieces of meat onto the racks and generously salted them.  My preferred salt is Maldon.  I let the meat air dry for at least 3 hours.
Light your grill to high.  Brush the meat with olive oil and grill, about one minute or less per side.  My condiments were some freshly made Salsa Cruda and a mashed avocado.  Along with some tasty tortas (sandwich rolls) that I had brushed with olive oil to toast after the meat was done.
My mouth is watering just looking at this plate of grilled meat.  Air-drying the meat certainly gives it an unique "aged" flavor.
Spread the mashed avocado on the bottom bun, top with the salsa and then the meat.  It was an excellent dinner and I certainly had plenty of meat left over for a few more lunches!

Buen Provecho.


No comments:

Post a Comment