Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Pizza that is so delicious!

I made a delicious pizza with Italian sausage, thinly sliced garlic, Piquillo peppers and capers.  The saltiness of the capers add a great dimension to all of the other flavors.
To make life easier, I buy the pizza dough at Whole Foods.  I like the taste of the crust and it is well priced.  All I have to do is take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. (Twice I have tried the dough from Trader Joe's and I did not care for it at all, it lacks flavor)
The night before, fry up some mild Italian sausage, drain it and put it back in the refrigerator until needed.
It just dawned on me,  the color of the garlic, capers and peppers are like the Italian flag.  How appropriate for a pizza.
I like to use Tarantino mild Italian sausage that I buy at Costco for my pizzas.  It comes in four packets with six sausages in each packet.  I store them in the freezer, perfect to have on hand.  It crumbles nicely once cooked and has a slight hint of fennel to it.
Pizza Ingredients:
1 lb. pizza dough
1  12 oz. jar of Piquillo Peppers - use 6 ounces - drained and sliced
             (save the remaining peppers for another use... 
               in an omelet, on a bruschetta with some goat cheese...)
Olive Oil
10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
  1 heaping tablespoon capers, rinsed well
3/4 lb. mild Italian sausage  (about 3 sausages), fried and drained
1 1/2 cups grated cheese:  a mix of Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan 

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Add the garlic and saute until almost golden.  Add peppers and caper.  Saute for another minute.  Take of the heat and set aside.

Roll out the dough to your desired size.  The pizza stone that I use is 12" x 15".  Brush the pizza stone with a little olive oil.  Place your dough on the stone.  Brush the pizza dough with a little olive oil.  Assemble the pizza with the sausage, then the garlic, caper and pepper mixture, then the cheese.  Of course you may add or subtract how much of the topping goes on your pizza.

Bake in a 450 oven for about 14 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment