Friday, July 12, 2013

Zabaione Freddo, a perfect summer dessert!

For the Mermaids and Margarita party, I wanted to make something refreshing and small enough that everyone would have one.  For an easy, make ahead dessert (and a great presentation), I used my little Mexican glasses that are about 3 ounces each.  I get so much use out of these glasses:  perfect for ceviche, shots of gazpacho, serving baby carrots standing in a 1/2" of dip...

August of 1985 I was at Villa d'Este right on the shores of Lake Como.  I bought Cooking Ideas from Villa d'Este written by Jean Govani Salvadore who ran the cooking school at the hotel.  I have made the Zabaione Freddo (Cold Zabaione) several times but I had always served it in a margarita glass.  Using the smaller glasses was just perfect, especially for a crowd.

ZABAIONE FREDDO

8  egg yolks
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 lemon peel
zest from half an orange
2 cups dry Marsala
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups heavy whipping cream

Blueberries and raspberries

In a double broiler whisk sugar and the egg yolks until frothy and creamy.  Pour in the Marsala, the wine and the lemon peel and orange zest.  Keep beating until you have a smooth consistency.
Remove from the heat and set pan in a bowl of ice to cool.
Whip the cream and gently fold into the egg / wine mixture.

Drop of few of the berries in the bottom of the glass, pour the mixture into the glasses and garnish with one berry on top.

Freeze.

To serve, let glasses sit at room temperature to slightly soften - about 10 minutes or more depending on the weather.

I was able to fill 24 of the small glasses.  It is a perfect dessert to have on hand in the freezer!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment