Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chapulines, an aquired taste

In Oaxaca, Mexico, Chapulines are a very popular delicacy.  Chapulines are toasted grasshoppers.  They are definitely not for the squeamish. Above, these Chapulines were served with a little guacamole.  Packed with enough protein comparable to lean ground beef while having much less fat.  And they contain useful minerals (iron, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium and zinc) and are a good source of fiber.  Even with all these favorable attributes, I am sure it will be tough to convince my friends to try them.  OK, maybe I can.
You can buy them from the street vendors or in one of the many markets.  The Chapulines are collected a certain time of year; from May which is their hatching time to late summer and early fall.  Chapultepec Park, Mexico City's famous landmark, name is derived from Nahuatl meaning "Grasshopper Hill."  It is said that if you eat Chapulines, it is guaranteed that you will return to Oaxaca.  I guess that is true, I did this spring and I am heading back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment