Friday, August 5, 2011

Artichokes in the market in San Miguel de Allende

What I find in the market in San Miguel de Allende usually will dictate my menu for the evening.  I could not resist these artichokes.  They were beautifully shaped and firm to the touch so I bought a few to take home.
Back in the kitchen, I trimmed them up by cutting the tips off the leaves and then steamed them for about an hour.  After they had cooled, I cut them in half and removed the fuzzy center.  I drizzled them with olive oil and a healthy sprinkle of sea salt (Maldon sea salt being my favorite).
I made a Remoulade sauce of mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, chopped fresh tarragon and parsley, a little chervil, minced capers and anchovy paste.  It is the perfect sauce to serve with the artichokes.
Before we sat down for dinner, I put the artichokes on the grill for a few minutes just to get a few char marks on them and add an additional flavor.  They were delicious and what a great way to start out a summer meal on the patio.
Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment