Monday, August 15, 2011

Gazpacho with a Twist

Summer and long hot days sure make for a cold glass of Gazpacho! 
For a dinner party the other night, I served it in a glass cup that I had bought in my twenties years ago at Margaret's mother's garage sale. 
For a special twist on the Gazpacho, I added 1/2" cubes of watermelon which creates such a sweet and savory starter.  I much prefer a Gazpacho that has been put through the blender verses those chunky ones filled with vegetables.  I hope you enjoy my recipe!

GAZPACHO
2  lbs. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1  small cucumber, peeled and cut into large pieces
1/2 red pepper, cut into large pieces
1 garlic clove, smashed
2 tablespoons, sherry
1/2 cup extra virgin-olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Place tomatoes and cucumber pieces in the blender and puree.  Add the pepper and sherry and blend.  Add the oil and salt and blend.  If liquid is too thick, add some cold water, 1/2 to 3/4 cup.  Pour through a strainer or a food mill.  Pour into a pitcher and chill until ready to serve.  Makes about 3 cups.

Garnish options:
- Mini croutons: 1/4" square
- Seedless watermelon cut into 1/4" to 1/2" squares
- Avocado, cut into cubes
- Thin slices of fennel
- Dollop of guacamole
- Dollop of crab meat mixed with a bit of chopped mint, a dash of lemon and a hint of chili  
  sauce

I also serve the Gazpacho in shot glasses as a colorful tapa.

Bon Appetit!

PS:  I like to store my Gazpacho in empty plastic tonic or club soda bottles.  It makes it easy when you are about to serve.  Shake the bottle, pour into the glasses and you are done.  It also makes it easy to store in your fridge this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment