Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Arizona Turns 100 with a little help from Ed Mell

Fifty years ago my parents pulled up roots, left family and friends, closed a successful business in Minneapolis and moved me and my brother to Scottsdale, Arizona!  That was fifty years ago and yesterday Arizona turned a hundred.
Ed Mell was the perfect choice to design the commemorative centennial stamp for Arizona.  A Phoenix native, he is famous for his cubist, dramatic southwestern landscapes.  A stamp collector as a child, I am sure he was thrilled by this commission.  The above landscape is Mell's artistic interpretation of Sedona's Cathedral Rock. 
I love it!  I will have to make a visit to the post office and pick up a sheet or two of stamps.

1 comment:

  1. Robin, it is so nice to read the inside story of a stamp!

    ReplyDelete