Monday, August 23, 2010

The Cradle at my Home in San Miguel de Allende

On the mirador (rooftop patio) at my home in San Miguel de Allende, there was a corner that was empty and I wanted to fill it with a piece of art, furniture, something that had color, height and could withstand the elements.
A good friend of mine has this "cuna", cradle in Spanish, out at her Rancho full of succulents, flowers and herbs. I thought, what a great idea so I designed a cuna. I figured out the dimensions and sketched side and front views on how I wanted the cuna to look. I called my wrought iron man to set up an appointment. On a Friday, he came over to my house, was exactly on time, to review my plans and specs.

The following Monday, he called me with a price in which I said, "Great, make it." I could not understand why he wanted to come over that afternoon to meet with me since I had already given him approval to go ahead with the cuna. So I relented and said, "sure, I'll see you at 3:00". He came right at 3:00 with a "full scale" drawing of the side and front of the cuna and a 5 gallon bucket full of iron parts so he could show me the diameters and different gauges that he planned on using. I was totally blown away.

He returned the next day to pick up the blue paint that I had matched to an armoire on my mirador.

I went to his taller to look over the cuna before he started to paint it. He told me his taller was located at No. 5, but the No. 5 with the Bouganvillia! (there were TWO number fives)

He delivered and set up the cuna on Friday morning! Talk about service and it is a beautiful piece of work. It is in two parts and rocks perfectly. Off to the nursery I went to buy pots, saucers, dirt and asparagus ferns.

These two ceramic dogs, Lad and Dad, are guarding the Cuna with their life!

Eight months later, the perros have done a great job and look how the ferns have grown.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the detailed account of your planning. I'll bet your wrought iron man loves working with you.

    ReplyDelete