Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A morning at the Denver Botanic Gardens


It was a gorgeous day in Denver, a bit hot, but my husband and I went over to the Denver Botanic Gardens right when they opened. We had never seen the gardens look so beautiful.

The Gardens is host to 20 sculptures by British artist, Henry Moore (1898-1986). Moore is famous for his abstract monumental sculptures. The above is called Oval with Points (1968-70). It is just so striking against the Colorado blue sky.
All 20 of the sculptures are from the Henry Moore Foundation that is located 35 miles north of London. Moore was inspired by nature. From rocks, bones, pebbles, shells, pieces of wood.... Many of his sculptures are reminiscent of the landscape and rolling hills in Yorkshire, his birthplace.
The water lilies were such a pretty sight, ranging in so many colors. Soft pale pink, brilliant red, hot pink, lavender....
"Reclining Figure" (1951)
"Reclining Figure" was heavily influenced by this Tolec-Mayan figure that he had seen at the Louvre.
I love how the sculpture takes on a new life as you view it from a different vantage point. The tree line appears like a sea of waves in the background and plays off the curves of the sculpture.
We walked all around the gardens. I loved the pattern of the rocks in this little path. Reminds me of the fabulous stone work that I see everywhere when I am at my home in San Miguel de Allende.With the death of his mother and the birth of his daughter, Mary, in 1946, Moore concentrated more on family. He expressed this in his work by producing many "Mother and Child" pieces.
Although, reclining figures were still a prominent subject in his art. I love the bold simplicity of this lady, but at the same time, her delicate poise.
This organic shaped sculpture is quite breathtaking in its setting especially with the reflection of the sculpture and the trees in the water amongst the water lilies.
Another view of this magnificent sculpture.
It was a spectacular show in a beautiful setting. I am anxious to go back with my camera in tow when we have our first snow. I'll keep you posted!
Moore in the Gardens
Denver Botanic Gardens
The show ends January 31, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment