Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Margarita Madness

Last Friday I had a little get together at my home with my lady friends from the water aerobics class at the Denver Athletic Club. We have had this on the calendar for months. Postponed once due to cold and rainy weather. If you can believe it, it did rain that night but it certainly did not damper our good time. Before everyone arrived, I arranged two little centerpieces with sunflowers & purple statice, made the tapas, squeezed the lime juice for the margaritas, mixed up a few batches and had the bar all set up and ready to go. I made the guacamole right in the molcajete which is the perfect serving vessel; a bit heavy though.

I have perfected my margarita recipe from the 35 years of having a casa in San Miguel de Allende; 2 parts tequila, 1 part Cointreau, 1 part fresh lime juice and 1/2 part simple syrup (sugar water). Please, NO margarita mixes and always use fresh lime juice. I also like to put a mix of salt and raw sugar on the rims of the glasses; not too salty, not too sweet.
Knowing that I would be serving margaritas, the gals came prepared to spend the night!
Time out for a group photo: Mary, Annie, Lizzy (the best water aerobics instructor ever!), Anne (birthday girl), Melinda, Helene and Jennifer.
Jennifer and Kelly making a toast. I served quesadillas in one of my ceramic platters that I had bought in Dolores Hidalgo which is about 30 minutes north of San Miguel de Allende. The filling for the quesadillas were caramelized red onion, cilantro, mango, roasted jalapenos, goat cheese and Monterrey jack cheese.
These skewered watermelon cubes with a slice of cherry tomato on top are so refreshing. Plus, what a great presentation, especially with the blue and white plate! I drizzled them with a vinaigrette of olive oil, brandy, lemon juice & lemon zest. Then a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt (my favorite) and a few buds of lavender. Annie and Melinda posing for the camera in between margaritas.
Helene talking away while Esther is thinking whether she should have another margarita!

Before coming home from the office, my husband, Len, stopped at Chelo's downtown and picked up two dozen tamales and two quarts of their green chili which has a real kick to it. Later on, a few of the ladies husband's stopped by and we just turned it into a whole evening affair!

If you want a good laugh, check out the little video ( click on the purple - Video ) that I shot of some of my friends (and my husband) doing animal noises. With a few margaritas and a little egging them on, I can get them to do almost anything! What a great group of ladies, we all had a great time, it was a blast!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment