Monday, June 6, 2011

A Flower show at the Denver Botanic Gardens

This last weekend, the Denver Botanic Garden along with the Garden Club of Denver were hosts to a large floral show along with various lectures.  One on the guest speakers was Nancy Clarke, floral designer for the White House for 30 years.
Four Denver professional floral designers were asked to create a sizable floral design.  I particularly like the one above.
I like how the Gerber Daises were strung through the wire mesh screen.
The arrangement with the Gerber Daises reminded me of the centerpieces I did for an ARC (Achievement Rewards for College Scientists) fundraiser and dinner in 2007.  ARC's honoree of year was Ralph Peterson, CEO of CH2M Hill, a large engineering firm with projects all over the world.   I created a structural design with a metal grid that I had made into a cylinder with orchids, bear grass and white tulips intertwined in the mesh in a fashion that created visually movement.
This category was "Solor Power."   Protea, roses and boxwood were arranged in a pavee design.  I really like the colors and the textures.
Of all the arrangements that were created that day, by amateurs and professionals, this arrangement in the "wind power" category really was a home run for me.  Patricia Tenney, from the Santa Barbara Garden Club, created such movement with her arrangement perched up on this stone column with dried grapevine, magnolia leaves and sheet moss.
It was obvious to my why she was awarded first prize in this category.  The judges wrote, "Interpretation of the power of wind is exceptional."  I certainly agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment